Beamline Scientist in Materials Research (all genders) - Tenure - track
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt operates one of the leading particle accelerators for science. In the next few years, the new FAIR (Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research) one of the world's largest research projects, will be built in international cooperation. GSI and FAIR offer the opportunity to work together in this international environment with a team of employees committed to ensure each day to conduct world-class science.
The Material Research Department has leading expertise in irradiation experiments with GeV ion beams and operates several beamlines as user facility. Research topics include ion-beam induced effects and defects in different material classes, radiation hardness of materials, materials under extreme conditions, and ion-track nanotechnology.
We are looking at the earliest possible date for a beamline scientist for irradiation experiments at the Materials Research ion-beam accelerator facilities of GSI and FAIR.
Beamline Scientist in Materials Research (all genders) - Tenure-track
Posting ID: 23.43-1600
- Develop and operate the materials research irradiation platforms with online and in-situ characterization techniques
- Provide technical and scientific support for internal and external users
- Develop an active research program related to the facilities
- Establish and manage national and international research collaborations
- Apply for grants and third party funding.
- PhD in materials science, physics, or relevant fields
- Experience in radiation physics and materials characterization methods
- Experience in experiments at large scale facilities
- Knowledge of vacuum technology and electronics is advantageous
- Experience with Python or another high-level programming language is advantageous
- Strong research background and hands-on experimental skills
- Excellent command of spoken and written English.
We are seeking a self-motivated candidate pursuing a scientific career. The candidate should have excellent communication and organizational skills, critical and analytical thinking, and be able to work successfully within a team in an interdisciplinary research environment. The applicants should have a good scientific publication record.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application (one document in pdf-format) including:
- Motivation letter
- CV with statement of the earliest possible starting date
- List of publications and talks
- Name and contact information of at least two referees.
We offer a fixed-term tenure track position for 5 years with the salary and benefits based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund) effective at GSI, with the option for permanent employment upon successful evaluation after 2,5 years.
GSI supports the vocational development of women. Therefore, women are especially encouraged to apply for the position. Severely handicapped persons will be preferentially considered when equally qualified.
Information about FAIR and GSI is available at www.gsi.de and www.fair-center.eu .
For further information, please contact Dr. Maria Eugenia Toimil-Molares via telephone:
+0049 6159 71 1807 or by email: m.e.toimilmolares(at)gsi.de .
Please send your complete application documents with the posting ID 23.43-1600, by 16th of June 2023 at the latest:
Preferred via the online portal on our job site,
or via email to bewerbung(at)gsi.de
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
Sie finden die Datenschutzhinweise zu Bewerbungsverfahren hier: www.gsi.de/datenschutzhinweise